Transition from one program to another can be a time of uncertainty. Parents and professionals can ensure smooth transitions by working together through careful planning and preparation of activities, timelines, and recommended practices to facilitate a child’s transition from one program to another.
General Transition Resources
- Questions and Answers Regarding Procedural Rights under IDEA for Parents of Students with Disabilities - Explains some of the common questions parents ask when a child with a disability first enters or transitions to the Preschool Program
- The NC Department of Public Instruction and the Early Learning Network presented a webinar on 2018 Child Find data. To watch the webinar and view the handouts click here.
- Pre-K Child Find and Transition Data as they Relate to the Local Education Agency Self-Assessment – Describes how Preschool Child Find and Transition data support the LEA Self-Assessment, particularly in the core elements of (1) Policy Compliance and Monitoring, (4) Problem-Solving for Improvement, (5) Research-Based Instruction and Practices, and (6) Communication and Collaboration.
Indicator 12 Data Collection and Reporting
- PreK Child Find andTransition Calculator: The Pre-K Child Find & Transition Calculator is designed to serve as a data collection tool for LEAs. The calculator collects preschool information related to Indicator 11, Indicator 12, and the Pre-K (619) Grant. LEAs accessing the calculator should review all information on the “Help” tab prior to data entry; this tab provides information about how to best enter data and maintain the integrity of the formulas within the spreadsheet. Google users can access a Sheets version of the calculator at http://bit.ly/cftc2019.
- Child Find Transition Calculator Annual Update Instructions – Provides step-by-step instructions on when and how to complete the annual update of your calculator and archive old information.
- Indicator 12 Spreadsheet - Includes instructions and general information for submission of Indicator 12 data
- Q&A Indicator 12 Spreadsheet - Addresses frequently asked questions about reporting Indicator 12 data to the NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI)
Transition from Early Intervention to Preschool
- Guiding Practices in Early Childhood Transition - Outlines activities, timelines, and recommended practices to facilitate a child's transition from the Infant-Toddler Program (Part C) to the Preschool Program (Part B)
- Children's Developmental Services Agencies (CDSAs) and Local Education Agencies Served – Listing of area CDSAs, contact information, and LEAs served
- Catchment Area Transition Plans - Outlines the agreed upon notification processes between each Children’s Developmental Services Agency (CDSA) and its respective Local Education Agencies (LEAs) around notification timelines and process for transmission of the data
- Infant Toddler to Preschool Program Notification Spreadsheet – Organizes child, family, and referral information
- North Carolina Infant-Toddler Program – Resources, forms, and procedural guidance for families and professionals in support of children birth to three who have special needs
- North Carolina Infant-Toddler Program Parent Handbook - English – Parent’s guide to Infant-Toddler and Preschool Programs
- North Carolina Infant-Toddler Program Parent Handbook - Spanish - Parent’s guide to Infant-Toddler and Preschool Programs
- Transition from Part C to Preschool, ECTA - National, state, and parent resource links related to transition from the Infant-Toddler Program (Part C) to Preschool Program
- Preschool Prep: How to Prepare Your Toddler for Preschool - Guidance for parents on easing their child’s transition to preschool
- Eligibility and Service Delivery Policies: Differences between IDEA Part C and IDEA Part B - Provides a snapshot overview of IDEA Part C and IDEA Part B policies in the following areas: Eligibility Criteria, Eligibility Determination, Types of Services, Service Settings, Service Recipients, Parental Rights, and System of Payments.
Transition to Kindergarten
- Transition to Kindergarten: Tips for Children with IEPs – Guidance to ensure children’s individual needs are addressed during transition to kindergarten
- Transition from Preschool Services to Kindergarten, ECTA – National, state, and parent resource links related to transition from the Preschool Program to Kindergarten
- Transition to Kindergarten: Terrific Transitions - Overview of the concept of transition and its importance to school success, including a variety of transition strategies
- Sample Transition to K Planning Doc – Excel spreadsheet for organizing transition process by district/school
- Sample Transition Planning Parent Letter – reviews the process of transition to K for preschool parents of children with IEPs