- Learning to Read and Write - A joint position statement of the International Reading Association (IRA) and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Early Literacy Practice Brief - Summarizes what we know about early literacy and offers research-based recommendations.
- Launching Young Readers - Examines stages young children go through in developing reading skills.
- Guide to Communication Milestones - Provides a snapshot of milestones for the major areas of childhood speech and language development.
- Reading Rockets - Offers research-based reading strategies, lessons, and activities to help young children learn how to read and read better.
- Center for Early Literacy Learning - Resources to support early literacy practices for young children.
- Classroom Literacy Materials List - List of literacy materials to support learning in the classroom.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Vocabulary Development - Describes the importance of the number of words known by age five for later school achievement.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Speech and Language Development - Describes essential parts of speech and language development.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Reading - Describes early learning experiences that set the stage for children’s literacy development.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Narrative Development - Describes critical skills of narrative development.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Spelling and Writing - Describes foundational skills for later spelling and writing abilities.
- What to Listen for in a High Quality, Language Rich, Learning Environment - Describes the importance of a rich, oral language environment and the connection to later literacy learning
- What to Look for in a High Quality, Literacy Rich, Learning Environment - Describes high-quality literacy rich environments and strategies to promote literacy development
Let's Talk, Read and Sing About STEM!, an online set of resources that include tip sheets for families, caregivers, and early childhood educators on simple ways to incorporate STEM concepts and vocabulary into everyday routines and activities.