Early Childhood Discipline
- Guiding Practices on Early Childhood Discipline - Provides intentional support for teachers and strategies that schools can use to manage challenging behavior in young preschool children in lieu of suspensions and expulsions.
- NC PPM Early Childhood Plan for Addressing Challenging Behaviors - Template to develop an LEA/program plan for addressing challenging behavior.
- Suspensions and Expulsions of Children with Disabilites - Defines disciplinary removal including suspension and expulsion, reviews reporting requirements, and provides example scenarios.
- Early Childhood Discipline Practices in North Carolina - Provides a review of the research and findings on early childhood discipline including suspension, expulsion, seclusion and restraint, along with regulatory reporting requirements.
Early Childhood Enrollment, Attendance, and Discipline Reporting
- Reporting Incidents in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Section of the SASA Manual
- Enrolling Preschool Children in PowerSchool
- PreK PowerSchool Guiding Questions for Teams
Early Childhood Hearing Screening
- Guiding Practices in Early Childhood Hearing Screening - Guidance and resources to improve the hearing screening process to make informed decisions and appropriate follow-up actions
Early Childhood Least Restrictive Environment
- The NC Department of Public Instruction and the Early Learning Network presented a webinar on Educational Environments (LRE) – View handouts and watch the webinar here.
- Q & A for Preschool LRE – Addresses questions frequently asked about early childhood educational settings
- Legal Requirements for Making LRE Decisions - Regulatory guidance regarding Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) placement decisions for preschool children
- Guiding Questions for IEP Teams - Series of questions IEP teams should consider when making special education placement decisions
- Early Childhood Educational Environments Decision Tree - Assists in determining early childhood environment for reporting purposes
- Reporting Educational Setting for Children 3-5 – Descriptions of CECAS codes for use with the Decision Tree for Early Childhood Environments.
- Educational Settings for Children Ages 3-5 with Disabilities (March, 2014) - DPI memo describing educational settings for children age 3-5 with examples
- OSEP Preschool Least Restrictive Environment - Reiterates that the least restrictive environment (LRE) requirements apply to placement of preschool children with disabilities (February, 2012)
- OSEP Letter- Early Childhood Educational Settings and the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) - Updates February 2012 OSEP letter with additional information on the reporting of educational environments data and the use of IDEA Part B funds to provide special education and related services to preschool children with disabilities. (January 2017)
- LRE data excel spreadsheet that generates the data displays - Allows LEAs to create a report based on LRE data from CECAS Analytics
- Directions for the CECAS query for PreK LRE - Provides instructions for accessing Pre-K LRE Report using CECAS Analytics Tool
- PreK LRE data as they relate to the EC Division’s LEA self-assessment - Describes how Preschool Educational Environments (Least Restrictive Environment –LRE) data can inform the LEA Self-Assessment
The NC Department of Public Instruction and the Early Learning Network presented a webinar on Educational Environments (LRE) – Indicator 6 on January 12, 2016. To watch the webinar and view the handouts click http://nceln.fpg.unc.edu/events/preschool-coordinators-data-webinar-educational-environments-lre-indicator-6
Early Childhood Transitions
- DPI Memo Guiding Practices in Early Childhood Transition and Procedural Safeguards - Explains revisions to the Guiding Practices and Q&A document related to transition
- Guiding Practices in Early Childhood Transition - Outlines activities, timelines, and recommended practices to facilitate a child's transition from the Infant-Toddler Program (Part C) to the Preschool Program (Part B)
- North Carolina Infant-Toddler Program Parent Handbook - English – Parent’s guide to Infant-Toddler and Preschool Programs
- North Carolina Infant-Toddler Program Parent Handbook - Spanish - Parent’s guide to Infant-Toddler and Preschool Programs
- Indicator 12 Spreadsheet - Includes instructions and general information for submission of Indicator 12 data
Q&A Indicator 12 Spreadsheet - Addresses frequently asked questions about reporting Indicator 12 data to the NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI)
Early Childhood Vision Screening
- Guiding Practices in Early Childhood Vision Screening - Guidance and resources to improve the vision screening process in order to increase the likelihood that children will receive timely and critical eye care services
- Vision Screening Report - Template for reporting vision screening results
Notifications from Other Programs
- Medical Home Feedback Form - Template for providing feedback to referring provider/agency at completion of child's assessment
- DPI Memo: Revised Physician to Preschool Program Notification Process - Explains revisions to the ABCD processes and procedures
- Physician Notification to Exceptional Children Preschool Program - Form to be completed by physician and sent to the Exceptional Children Preschool Program
- Notification Flow Chart Legend and Notes - Explains initial evaluation process for children ages 3 through 21 as well as action steps for children age through 5
- Referral Flow Chart Physician to Preschool Program - Summarizes physician to preschool notification process for children age 3 through 5
- Sample Preschool Program Notification Form – Sample form to be completed by preschool program representative and sent to the Exceptional Children Preschool Program