- Mathematics and Science in Preschool: Policies and Practice - Reviews current knowledge on educational practices and outlines recommendations for early education policy in math and science.
Teacher Resources: Math
- Early Childhood Mathematics: Promoting Good Beginnings - Joint position statement of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
- Teaching Math to Young Children - Evidence-based recommendations that address the challenge of teaching early math to children ages 3 - 6.
- Development of Mathematical Concepts - Outlines math concepts that children are capable of understanding at three, four, and five years of age.
- Understanding STEAM and How Children Use It - Overview of how children ages birth to 5 engage with STEAM concepts and materials
- Math Play: How Young Children Approach Math - Suggests opportunities for teachers to reflect on and extend the mathematics that arise in everyday activities.
- Music and Math: How Do We Make the Connection for Preschoolers? - Describes opportunities to strengthen the connection between early music experiences and math abilities.
Teacher Resources: Science
- NSTA Position Statement: Early Childhood Science Education - Identifies key principles to guide learning in science among young children
- Teaching Science in the Early Childhood Years - Describes young children’s early ideas about science and reviews instructional approaches to effectively teach science to young children.
- Preschoolers Learning Science: Myth or Reality? - Reviews research findings on early science learning.
- Tools to Enhance Young Children’s Thinking - Describes use of thinking routines to support children’s understanding.
- NSTA Position Statement: Parent Involvement in Science Learning - Offers recommendations to parents for science learning at home.
- Handbook of Language and Literacy Development: Numeracy Concepts and Skills - Describes foundational numeracy skills.
- Math at Home - Information and activities to help foster the development of early math skills in children between the ages of birth and five.
- Science Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners - Suggests science activities for parents to do with their child.