Child Outcomes Summary (COS)
- Child Outcomes Step by Step Video - Describes and illustrates the three child outcomes.
- NC Early Childhood Outcomes Systems brochure - Overview of the three child outcomes that includes a decision tree for summary rating discussions.
- Understanding the Developmental Trajectories for Early Childhood Outcomes - Describes and visually depicts the 5 categories of children’s developmental trajectories.
- A Family Guide to Understanding the Early Childhood Outcomes Measurement Process - Explains the three child outcomes to parents of young children participating in the NC Infant-Toddler or Exceptional Children Preschool Program.
- Click here for more information about ordering NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) print publications available to help explain the importance of child outcomes.
Breadth of Three Child Outcomes - provides a framework for describing and consistently measuring children’s functional skills and behaviors across settings and situations.
Child Outcome Summary (COS) Professional Development
- Effective Practices Supporting Reliable and Valid Early Childhood Outcomes Measurement - training modules that promote the collection of reliable information about children’s functional behavior, across settings, and obtained by multiple sources.
- NC Foundations, Progressions, TS GOLD, COR Alignment with Early Childhood Outcomes – Aligns the content of NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development, NC Progressions: Birth to Five, TS GOLD Objectives, Dimensions, and Indicators as well as COR Advantage Items with each of the three child outcomes (March 2019)
- COS Age-Anchoring Tool – tool for Child Outcomes Summary (COS) process to support examining a child’s functional abilities/skills and behaviors and determining how close that functioning is to the functioning expected for the child’s chronological age.
- Charting a Child’s Progress Against Age-Expected Development – tool to support plotting a child’s developmental trajectory between two points in time.
- NC Preschool Pyramid Model - Initiative designed to help improve child outcomes for preschool children with disabilities and to increase opportunities for instruction in the least restrictive environment (LRE).
- COS Process Professional Development: Collection of national resources to support COS training and technical assistance provided by the Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center.
- COS Completion- When Teams Can't Meet in Person - assists teams conducting COS rating determination meetings using telecommunication devices to have discussions with team members in different locations.
Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Data Quality
- COS Program Quality Self-Assessment – tool to assess the level of implementation of COS processes within local programs.
- COS Data Quality Self-Assessment – tool to identify patterns observed in data collected within local programs.
- COS File Review for Supporting Evidence – tool to review data collected to support COS ratings for individual children.
Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Data Analysis
- Analyzing Child Outcomes Data for Program Improvement: Guidance Table (September 2013) - a tool to help identify key issues, questions, and approaches for analyzing and interpreting data on outcomes for young children with disabilities.
- What to Look for in Your Outcomes Data: Resources to support LEAs in analyzing their data to determine if it is valid and reliable, and if it meets the state’s designated performance targets.