The following documents provide guidance for engaging in the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Quality Self-Assessment Process:
- NC Foundations, Progressions, TS GOLD, COR Alignment with Early Childhood Outcomes – Aligns the content of NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development, NC Progressions: Birth to Five, TS GOLD Objectives, Dimensions, and Indicators as well as COR Advantage Items with each of the three child outcomes (March, 2019)
- COS Quality Self-Assessment Process Overview
- COS Program Quality Self-Assessment
- COS Data Quality Self-Assessment
- COS File Review for Supporting Evidence
- Charting a Child’s Progress Against Age-Expected Development
- What to Look for in Your Outcomes Data: Resources to support LEAs in analyzing their data to determine if it is valid and reliable, and if it meets the state’s designated performance targets
- COS Process Professional Development: Collection of national resources to support COS training and technical assistance provided by ECTA.
- Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Process Module: Collecting and Using Data to Improve Programs - The Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center has partnered with the Center for IDEA Early Childhood Data Systems (DaSy) for the development of an online learning module that provides key information about the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) process and the practices that contribute to consistent and meaningful COS decision making.
- The Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center: Outcomes Measurement - Links to child and family outcomes measurement tools and references.
- NC Preschool Pyramid Model - Initiative designed to help improve child outcomes for preschool children with disabilities and to increase opportunities for instruction in the least restrictive environment (LRE).
- Center for Early Literacy Learning (CELL) - Resources to promote the adoption and sustained use of evidence-based early literacy learning practices.
- Child Outcomes Step by Step Video - Describes and illustrates the three child outcomes.
- The NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has a number of publications available to help explain the importance of child outcomes, as well as the process and requirements. Click here for more information.
- NC Early Childhood Outcomes Systems brochure - Overview of the three child outcomes that includes a decision tree for summary rating discussions.
- Understanding the Developmental Trajectories for Early Childhood Outcomes - Describes and visually depicts the 5 categories of children’s developmental trajectories.
- A Family Guide to Understanding the Early Childhood Outcomes Measurement Process - Explains the three child outcomes to parents of young children participating in the NC Infant-Toddler or Exceptional Children Preschool Program.