NC-ELN is proud to announce the release of the Early Learning Progressions, a tool that expands on and supports the North Carolina Foundations for Early Learning and Development. Learn more by visiting the Learning Progressions link under Resources, or by clicking here.
- North Carolina Early Learning and Development Progressions: Birth to Five Printable Version – Expands the NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development goals into observable behaviors at two-, three-, and six-month intervals. (Please note that the printed version is more than 800 pages.)
- NC Early Learning and Development Progressions at a Glance – Printable listing of the developmental progressions without observation guidelines.
- NC-ELN has recently released a set of modules that address early childhood mental health (ECMH) competencies. This set of modules addresses the first 4 competencies: 1) parenting, caregiving, family functioning and parent-child relationships, 2) child development: infant, toddler and preschool age children 3) biological and psychosocial factors impacting outcomes, and 4) risk and resiliency. You can access this resource through the EC Mental Health tab on the Foundations Training Modules page, or by clicking here.
- The Foundations Self-Paced Modules are also available under Foundations, or by clicking here.
State and Local Data
- State/Local Data page contains data related to the Exceptional Children Preschool Program from a variety of sources and reports, including the preschool grant, Child Count table, State Performance Plan (SPP) and other required data sets.
Child Outcomes Resources
Child Outcomes Summary: Collecting and Using Data to Improve Programs - The Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center has partnered with the Center for IDEA Early Childhood Data Systems (DaSy) for the development of an online learning module that provides key information about the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) process and the practices that contribute to consistent and meaningful COS decision making.
Preschool Coordinator’s Resources
- Two new federal memos on preventing racial discrimination in special education have been posted on the ECPC Resources page under State and Federal Memos: OCR Letter Preventing Racial Discrimination in Special Education and OCR Fact Sheet Preventing Racial Discrimination in Special Education.
- Early Childhood Suspension and Expulsion - An annotated bibliography covering early childhood suspension and expulsion.
- Early Social-Emotional Functioning and Public Health - Examines the associations between social-emotional skills in kindergarten and key young adult outcomes.
- Implementing Policies to Reduce the Likelihood of Preschool Expulsion - Examines factors associated with expulsion from PreK
- Prekindergarteners Left Behind: Expulsion Rates in State Prekindergarten Programs - Summarizes the first study ever conducted on the rate of expulsion in prekindergarten programs (Gilliam, 2005)
- Describing the Problem Behavior with Precision – Guidance on how to write a precision problem behavior statement
- Guidance on Developing a Program Plan for Challenging Behaviors – Describes a process for developing a program-wide implementation plan addressing problem behaviors including how the program will respond to problem behavior in the short-term and on an ongoing basis.
- OSEP Letter- Early Childhood Educational Settings and the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) - Updates February 2012 OSEP letter with additional information on the reporting of educational environments data and the use of IDEA Part B funds to provide special education and related services to preschool children with disabilities. (January 2017)
PreK Child Find-Transition Calculator (note: note: If you get an error message upon opening the file, click on the “x” in the top corner and the file will open).