The following documents provide guidance for engaging in the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Quality Self-Assessment Process:
NC Foundations for Early Learning and Development Crosswalk to Early Childhood Outcomes - Aligns the content in the North Carolina Foundations for Early Learning and Development with the three child outcomes. (April, 2017)
- Child Outcomes Summary (COS) Process Module: Collecting and Using Data to Improve Programs - The Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center has partnered with the Center for IDEA Early Childhood Data Systems (DaSy) for the development of an online learning module that provides key information about the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) process and the practices that contribute to consistent and meaningful COS decision making.
- The Early Childhood Technical Assistance (ECTA) Center: Outcomes Measurement - Links to child and family outcomes measurement tools and references.
- NC Social Emotional Foundations of Early Learning (SEFEL) Pyramid Model - Initiative designed to help improve child outcomes for preschool children with disabilities and to increase opportunities for instruction in the least restrictive environment (LRE).
- Center for Early Literacy Learning (CELL) - Resources to promote the adoption and sustained use of evidence-based early literacy learning practices.
- Child Outcomes Step by Step Video - Describes and illustrates the three child outcomes.
- Tips for Administrators, Teachers, and Families: How to Share Data Effectively - This set of tip sheets helps administrators, teachers, and families determine the best ways to share student data in meaningful ways, on a regular basis, to strengthen family–school partnerships and promote student learning.
- The NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has a number of publications available to help explain the importance of child outcomes, as well as the process and requirements. Click here for more information.
- NC Early Childhood Outcomes Systems brochure - Overview of the three child outcomes that includes a decision tree for summary rating discussions.
- Understanding the Developmental Trajectories for Early Childhood Outcomes - Describes and visually depicts the 5 categories of children’s developmental trajectories.
- A Family Guide to Understanding the Early Childhood Outcomes Measurement Process - Explains the three child outcomes to parents of young children participating in the NC Infant-Toddler or Exceptional Children Preschool Program.